Sunday, June 20, 2010

First Week in Korea

I arrived in Seoul right on time having had very little sleep the preceding two days. It worked out great, because I stayed awake until about 10 pm the Tuesday of my arrival and haven't had trouble adjusting to the time since. Joong-hyun, my co-worker, roommate, and friend from graduate school, took care of me for the first week. I stayed with his wife, Jisue, in their apartment in Yangjeh-dong.

Samseong station, near the Coex underground mall.

Joong-hyun, Jisue, and myself at Samseong station again with football fans filling the streets for the South Korea vs. Argentina game.

The food so far has been fantastic. And cheap. Included taxes and no tipping makes all purchases feel like a pleasant surprise. Every meal includes some special bonus, like free coffee when you're done, or a bowl of nangmyeun (cold noodles), or cool rice tea. Definitely my kind of service.

I visited E-mo in Busan for the weekend. Minsuk, my cousin, finished his finals for his Bachelor's degree in Economics at Sogang University just in time to take me on the KTX train to their home. Hanging out with them and Uncle Han was fun, watching the soccer games and StarCraft matches in Korean.

Dinner at e-mo's house.

Harabagi (grandpa) wanted to go to the fish market for Korean-style sashimi, so we made reservations at Jagalchi. By far the strangest meal I've had, including fresh, wriggling octopus. They certainly don't waste anything; the fish body was used for the sashimi, then they served the fish head fried, followed by a soup made with the fish tail. There were also some sea squirts (ascidian?) and some other sea creature served fresh and raw. All pretty tasty though, I have to admit. Except for the fish eye.

At the fish market with harabagi, Uncle Han, e-mo, and Minsuk.

This is just the appetizer.

Koreans say this is good for men's health. I think you can guess why.

Busan port from Jagalchi fish market.

Himoni (grandma) was still in a rehabilitation hospital for hurting her hip, so we visited for a bit then returned home to relax and walk around the neighborhood of E-mo's apartment forest. Enjoyed some tasty noodles, got my pants hemmed up for just 2,000 won, and tried some red bean ice cream.

The streets are brighter at night than during the day.

Shaved ice and red bean paste. I hear it's even better (i.e. bigger) in Seoul.

I think it's been a very productive time so far in Korea. If you count eating delicious foods as productive. Which I do.

Saying goodbye at the Gupo station.

No comments:

Post a Comment