Sunday, September 5, 2010

Bangkok Tour Begins

Our first tourist destination was the floating market, a series of canals outside of Bangkok where food and souvenirs were sold. I tried coconut milk straight out of the shell and haggled for a few items.

Checking out the floating market by boat.

Junk for sale!

Coconut milk! Tastes like flavored water.

Once we were back at the hotel I had enough time for a late lunch and Thai massage, which only cost about $5 or $6 for 30 minutes. It was nice, but at the end I was being twisted into all sorts of positions I wasn’t expecting. Good thing I’m limber or else that would have really hurt.

We went to the train station for dinner before our overnight trip. At 6 pm they played the national anthem on the loudspeakers and everyone stood up to face the picture of the King & Queen of Thailand. Our guide Tommy told us that all public buildings do this twice a day. I picked up some iced coffee and an unknown flavor of chips for the ride.

Standing for the national anthem, facing the King.

Snacks for the train ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment