Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hiromi, aka Laura

I met with my cousin Hiromi today. She and a friend are in Korea for a couple of weeks, then they're visiting Tokyo to see her grandpa. We'll actually be in Japan at the same time, but I won't be in Tokyo until she's already back Stateside.

Hiromi picks out some heels while I try and decide what to get Annabelle.

Before I met her, I was thinking about the last time we saw each other, and I think it was about 22 years ago when we both came to Korea as babies. I remember seeing pictures of us playing together on Grandpa's farm in Arkansas, but I haven't been to California much to see that side of the family since then. I was in LA for Dennis' wedding, but that's when I met her sister for the first time.

Long time no see, cuz!

We did some shopping in front of Ewha Women's University, which is packed with clothes almost exclusively for the ladies. Tons of stores devoted solely to shoes or accessories, and lots of cheap stuff (and some outlandishly expensive stuff). She helped me pick out a new pair of glasses, and it'll be ready tomorrow. Her friend Janice has much better eyesight than me, and her prescription was ready in half an hour! I wish I could've gotten a new pair for just 40,000 won or $33.80, but again my astigmatism almost requires the more expensive lens so it was 71,000 won or $60 for my set (though the frames were just 20,000 won [$16.90]!).

Hiromi (Laura to her friends) and Janice after a quick dinner.

Hiromi offered to host me in LA, so I may take her up on that after this trip. I can catch up with my other cousins and see more of my birthstate while I have the time. Good to have family around the world, as a general rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment