Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Proofreading

The head professor of the Biomaterials and Bioengineering department invited me to lunch next Monday. Of course I accepted, then he told me the food would be a very spicy traditional Korean food, "very delicious." Even better.

Today he talked to me for a bit, then asked me about the pronunciation of a name he had chosen for his granddaughter, Yeh-jin. He wanted to make sure it was easy to pronounce for Americans. His son studied in America but his Korean name was difficult for English speakers to pronounce. So the two of them want to give the girl a name that is easy for us folks. I remember Joong-hyun telling me that the father's father traditionally names children before they are born. More modern families just choose names they like for their children.

Still, it's not uncommon to see all siblings named with the same beginning syllable. My mother and all her siblings have the Kwang- prefix beginning their name, which means "bright." As another example, my friend Joong-hyun's brother is named Joong-min.

Anyways, Minho and Sungmin took me to a famous Chinese restaurant in Sinchon called Bok Sung Gak. It was quite tasty and cheap, designed just for the college kids; they were playing American pop music the whole time. I haven't heard American radio for awhile, so I assume it was modern. Shrugs.

My camera lens was still wet from the Cheonggyechung evening.

It wasn't really this foggy in there, but the chicken was quite spicy.

We visited the pork sausage soup (soondeh gook) restaurant that I visited during my first or second week again, but I had forgotten to take pictures the first time because it was so delicious. So, here are some ideas of how it looks. This particular restaurant is also in the Sinchon area, but we had to drive there (somewhere east of the Yonsei campus).

Side dishes, of course. Notice my camera is better! Had to let it dry with the lens open.

The soup! It looks gross, but man does it taste good.

A piece of sausage. Again, not visually appealing, but you'll like it if you like meat of any kind.

Some other random day, Seung-kyun was talking about other "healthy" foods. He had some red ginseng drink that was good for, you guessed it, men's health. So I tasted a bit, and it was probably the worst tasting liquid I've experienced in a while. But the packet wasn't such that I could save it, so like a good Korean I finished it in 'oneshot.' I don't know that I'm any healthier for it, but I hear it's quite expensive so maybe I should thank Mr. Moon for the privilege.

Please, avoid this. Even if it is for health.

Reaction shot. Yeah it was bitter.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant one.I have searching for something like that and I got to know about your blog.
    writing college admission essays in korea

    ReplyDelete