Monday, July 19, 2010

Always about the health

Today was the first of three sambok, days set by the lunar calendar to indicate the beginning, middle, and end of the summer. Koreans eat a certain meal for stamina, called samygetang. To give you the stamina to last the hot season, they eat this white chicken soup where a whole chicken is stuffed and boiled. It wasn't bad, but somewhat bland. The bones of the chicken were so tender I ended up eating more marrow than I realized. Only the larger long bones and spinal sections were too tough to accidentally chew.

Chicken ginseng stew.

The bones I was fortunate enough *not* to eat.

Hello, labmates.

I went to the gym in the basement of my building (in the parking garage, actually) and paid 30,000 won ($25) for a one month membership. It's great! The place is small but cool, clean, and quiet. The equipment is fairly new, and they provide a clean shirt, running shorts, and towels for everyone. All I need to bring is shoes and I can exercise, shower, and leave with only my socks getting sweaty. The hours are a bit odd; noon to 2pm and 5pm to 9pm, but the price certainly makes it worth it. I'll definitely be trying to come here 3-4 times a week for the duration of my stay. Several of my labmates go there regularly, another good motivating factor.

Um, I don't have pictures of the gym. But this was tasty!

My final chemical came in a day early. I'm a little bummed out because I was hoping to go do some shopping today at Hongdae, another university just one stop away. I'll have to wait until after Wednesday I think, once I've finished my presentation on scaffold fabrication. For now, I should run my assay and see if I can figure out how it works.

My assay! Too bad it's not working as expected yet :(

No comments:

Post a Comment