Thursday, July 29, 2010

It doesn't taste like chicken

The restaurant I was taken to.

After last evening's tirade, I woke up a touch late. I did manage to make it to lab in time for lunch, though. One of the young professors here had promised to take me out for dog today, the middle of sambok. He drove us quite a ways out to northwestern Seoul where the average building height decreased to about 3 or 4 stories instead of dozens and rice fields started to become visible. A dirt road led us to a shady grove of small huts behind a kitchen building, each hut an independent sitting area. The four of us sat down and ordered bosuntang, cooked dog meat. It was a very dark meat, but if I wasn't told it was dog I never would have guessed it. I remember my mom telling me she had been tricked into eating it when she was younger, and even Soo-hyuk had the same experience. I guess its common to lie to kids about eating dog here? Anyways my mom hated it but Soo-hyuk really likes it. Turns out I like it, too!

Saenbae treated me to this meal.

Suhyuk pours the beer/soju bombs.

That's it. Dog meat.

About to try my first bite.

I'm trying to think of ways to describe it, but it's difficult. It was meat--the dipping sauce was very good. The skin portions were thick, and the meat was tender without any strong odor. The texture was close to turkey, but the taste was more like beef. Actually, it was quite similar to goat, I'd say. I would eat it again.

Apparently this meal, like so many others, is intended for men's health. Two of the guys joked that the stamina this meal gives you is wasted if you don't stay up all night. They're both regular club-goers, so that might be their plan tonight.

Rice mixed with the leftover soup. Also quite good.

What we got off the menu, in case you want to try!

Back in lab, I'm still proofreading the students journal publications and trying to figure out what I can do in this limited time. And trying to finish this book chapter (oops). It's good to be busy.

Just a random shot of the northwest part of Seoul.

1 comment:

  1. Was it served just as cooked meat or did it come with any grain/veg?

    ReplyDelete