Friday, July 16, 2010

Cousin Jincheon

I left lab early (5 pm) on Friday to meet Jincheon near his office at Gangnam station. He drove me to his house in Yongin, which took a little over an hour to get to. I met his wife and his daugter, Hannari (Skye), and she's everything he warned me about. The strongest, most boisterous 4-year old I've ever met. I guess she likes me, because she's always trying to feed me and have me sit next to her.

Jincheon and his wife.

Hannari and me!

Hannari has been going to an English school so she can speak Korean and English quite well for a girl her age. She taught me how to say eyes, mouth, neck, shoulders, and ears in Korean and kept singing Happy Birthday because it was the latest song she learned in English. Eventually she expanded her song list to Rain, Rain, Go Away and her ABC's, complete with compulsory slurring at 'L M N O P' (el el el ah peh).

Their dog peed on my backpack, so all my stuff is on the bed while it was washed.

On Saturday I had my first Skype call with my parents. I really thought I would be doing that more frequently, but none of my weekends have allowed me to set aside the time for that yet. After checking in with the family we drove to Caribbean Bay, a water park right next to Everland. It was raining, but the place was still very crowded with Asians in swimming suits, hats, and t-shirts. A large Chinese tourist group was there and they had all purchased or rented life vests.

She was usually this excited.

Caribbean Bay, the Samsung-owned water park next door to Everland.

The next day he drove me back to my dorm. I slept the entire ride back, exhausted from playing with his daughter all that time.

A late dinner of galbi at an all-night restauraunt.

I managed to stay awake the rest of the day and met up with some students at Insadong just in time to catch dinner. We went shopping at Namdaemun, then went to Sinchon near my school for dinner. We just chilled in the Sinchon area afterwards where I have, ironically, not yet had time to explore.

Deciding where to go next in the subway.

Hey...it actually makes sense (in Russian).

Ice cream and waffles. How can you go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment